Not enough sex I’m afraid
Posted September 3, 2011on:
I’m withholding a star from this admittedly brilliant book because it disappointed me in several ways.
1. John Thorpe should have been more forceful with Catherine. I wanted more passion from him.
2. General Tilney was far too nice. Maybe it would have been too much if he’d raped Catherine, but he could have raped one of the servants.
3. Catherine should have found something evil when she searched General Tilney’s rooms. Something to make her damp with fear.
4. While we’re at it, Mr Allen needed a peccadillo or two to make him more credible. Maybe he could have touched up Catherine while she was getting ready for her debut in the pump rooms.
5. I liked Isabella and wanted to see more of her. I’m sure she would never have been satisfied with James in the long run. She was a well-conceived character and Miss Austen passed up a perfect opportunity with her to show us the seedier side of Regency England.
All in all, a promising beginning, though, from this fine novelist.